How To | Using the PS-X As a Standalone Paging Mic
If you are not finding the results you need and still have questions, submit a request using the form below and our Tech Docs team will get right on it. Our goal is to provide the content you need!
Your engagement helps us create the content you need. Click here to review this article.
Table of Contents
While the PS-X was designed for use with the Q-SYS Paging Stations, there are applications where it can be configured as a standalone device in the Q-SYS Ecosystem. This application can be used with any Q-SYS Core (except Core 5200), IO Frame or network amp with mic/line inputs, or any other peripheral with mic/line inputs and/or GPIO with TTL/contact closure inputs and TTL outputs.
Enterprise cores and Integrated Cores with slots must have a CIML4/CIML-HP or use other mic/line inputs.
- Obtain the PS-X hardware.
- Have 1 available mic/line input, 1 available GPI and 2 available GPO in your system per PS-X used
- Run Shielded CAT5/5e/6 from Core to PS-X location. One line per PS-X.
Shielded CAT cable is recommended in this case for maximum EMI-RFI protection
- Crimp on connectors, attach biscuit boxes, or terminate to to patch panel at PS-X end. Shielded connectors and/or patch cables following EIA-TIA 568-A/B wiring conventions MUST be used.
- Crimp on connectors, attach biscuit boxes, or terminate to to patch panel at Core. Shielded connectors and/or patch cables following EIA-TIA 568-A/B wiring conventions MUST be used.
- Use Winford Engineering or equivalent 8P8C (RJ45) breakout board to simplify wire management. (https://www.winford.com/products/brk8p8csj.php)
- Use 8P8C (RJ45) pin-out below to attach wires to core:
- Pin 1 - MIc Audio+ (to designated mic input + on core)
- Pin 2 - Mic Audio- (to designated mic input - on core)
- Pin 3 - Red LED+ (to any GPO on core set to digital output)
- Pin 4 - Red LED ground (to GPIO on core ground maybe be jumped to 6/8)
- Pin 5 - Green LED+ (to any GPO on core set to digital output)
- Pin 6 - Green LED ground (to GPIO core ground maybe be jumped to 5/8)
- Pin 7 - Mic switch 1 (to any GPI on core set to contact closure)
- Pin 8 - Mic switch 2 (to GPIO core ground maybe be jumped to 5/6)
- Shield-To designated mic shield on mic input
The image below shows Q-SYS design setup with a Core 8 Flex.